System Information Overstating File Usage

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by jdag, Apr 3, 2017.

1. jdag macrumors 6502a

I noticed today that my Mac's System Information is vastly overstating my iTunes file usage. See the attached image.

My iTunes library is locally stored, but the media folder is stored on a NAS drive. And yes, the media folder is very close to the size being reported by System Information (it is 8.45tb as reported by my NAS, while System Information is reporting 8.44tb).

I've never noticed this issue before, and it seems it may be attributable to the recent OS updates. Anyone else seeing this? Any way to correct it?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Alrescha, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have the same thing. My iTunes media is on an external drive and Storage reports all of this data to my internal SSD. Since the iTunes data is many times the capacity of the SSD this makes the Storage display somewhat useless. My only solution is to not look at the Storage display :)

A.

addendum:

I cannot say how long this problem has existed, as I really never look at the Storage display. It pre-dates 10.12.4 as I posted about it here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-consuming-space-on-internal-ssd.2038399/#post-24424095

3. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

I have the same issue on my iMac with a external drive storing my iTunes media.

4. jdag thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you experience this issue before last week's update? I did not. And I am certain about that because I had done some major file movement between my Mac and NAS over the past month and used System Info often.

5. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

No this seems like a recent thing that happened on 10.12.4.

6. jdag thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for confirming...I won't worry about it.