"System" is taking 60% cpu

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by usctrunks, May 3, 2009.

1. usctrunks macrumors newbie

Hey I have a first gen intel macbook white running XP sp3 in dual boot.

for some reason "system" not "system idle process" is using constant 60% of the cpu.

If i go into leopard and back into windows it'll fix it for a while but then later it'll screw up again and "system" will start using a lot of cpu. (restarting windows doens't fix it, i have to go into leopard and then windows).

has anyone seen this issue before or have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Your problem could be caused by indexing service running. You can turn it off or let it complete and see what happens. To turn off, right click on the drive icon in Windows Explorer, at the bottom un-check the index service box.

If that is not the problem, try downloading Process Explorer from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

With this utility you can examine each process that is running. If need be you can stop and or turn off running processes.

Neil

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

4. usctrunks thread starter macrumors newbie

ok ill try it and see if it , but it's a weird issue. why would booting into mac and then back into windows fix the problem but not just restarting windows?