System keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dunstablian, Apr 5, 2008.

1. dunstablian macrumors newbie

Dunstable, UK, home of the true time bandit!
    This is going to be long winded, and I have found no one that can help. . . . yet! . . . I have a MacBook Pro running 10.4.8, I have just done an erase of my hard drivr and reinstalled my software version above (i did upgrade to leopard but found too many conflicts so went back to tiger) The computer keeps throwing up a dark box telling me to restart my computer which i did, this still went on for a few weeks untill it would not start up at all the little dial thing would be on the screen running around but would not kick it, i phoned my friend whom suggested that on start up hold down apple s key which i did and he talked me thru the fsck -fy to do a hard drive check and repair which i did i then rebooted my computer and all was okay, well thats what i thought, but the problem did not go away,to the point that nothing would work at all, so i had my mate put in a new hard drive with leopard on it and that had a lot of conflicts on it plus it did not cure the problem, me thinking that it was probably the leopard system that was causing the problem, i wiped the new hard drive clean and reinstalled my old tiger system and all was okay until this morning when the dreaded dark box was there again, so i just held the restart button down and it kicked in again, i am getting to the point of switching to windows and buying a new pc, but as i have been a mac user for many years i am reluctant to do that, plus my three brothers and one sister are all mac users so we have a little bit of experience between us, but not enough to cure the above. . . . PLEASE HELP!!!!! if you can and in simple terms as i am not by far means an expert at all in computing . . . .to whom this may concern . . . in advanced thankyou for any help. . . i will of course keep you informed of any news . . . good or bad. Thanks Dunstablian.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You are having Kernel Panics and it is often related to either a wonky software installation or faulty hardware. From what you have described it sounds more like hardware.

If you can get into the system try reporting some of the panic logs found in Tiger here /Library/Logs/panic.log. See this recent thread about what to report.

It would also be worth it to use the hardware test. To do this insert your install disk 1 and when you boot the machine press and hold down d for a little while. Apply the extended test. Make a note of any errors that it reports, if any.

3. dunstablian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for the pointers to start off with, with regards to Kernel problems (whatever they are) when doing a fsck -fy key i did notice a line on the screen something about apple.com.kernel and apple.com.kpi or something along them lines anyway
    I have a crash reporter in my library file, as well as a java log and syn log folders and there are three crash reports/logs in the crash reporter folder, safari, setup and limewire, but they do not mean alot to me when i open them, my friend used the hard ware test and tested my computer for 24 hours on a constant loop and found no errors, got the computer home used it for a few days and then it just crashes, with all the info at hand and i would suggest it is a hardware problem what are my options to fixing things?
    thanks for your help.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

setup ? That sounds interesting. Possibly relates to a wonky install.

Can you open it up and post the information contained therein? If it is hugely long then stick it in text edit and attach the txt file here.

5. dunstablian thread starter macrumors newbie

here are the logs that are on my computer which are in library/logs/crash reporter,(3 logs there), library/logs/java(2 logs there) and library/logs/sync (1 log there but nowt in it) plus one log sitting in my dock (console log) as you say they are very long, but they dont mean a pooh to me!!!! i will try to send the last log in another quote, which is the limewire one as it is too long, so may need to split it up.

Attached Files:

6. dunstablian thread starter macrumors newbie

last log which is limewire part one.

Attached Files:

7. dunstablian thread starter macrumors newbie

last log which is limewire part two

Attached Files:

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There seems to be lots of enteries related to Java. There is a Java Update availble here, but it needs 10.4.10 or later so I suggest that you run the 10.4.11 combo update here.

Is there any reason why you are still on 10.4.8?

If that doesn't fix it I would remove limewire as it seems to be causing problems

9. dunstablian thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i upgraded to leopard and had so many problems that i actually thought that leopard was the problem so i did an erase and re-installed my tiger software.

I will use the combo upgrade and update my java and see what happens, thanks for your help.

10. dunstablian thread starter macrumors newbie

I have downloaded and upgraded the software to 10.4.11 and have also downloaded the java release 6.

I will see how my computer runs now, but may take a few days for any thing to happen as the problem it appears to be intermittent.

Thankyou so much for your help so far.