System lockups

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Ken1222, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ken1222 macrumors newbie

Greetings - Former life-long DOS-Windows user here, recently bought a new 21.5" iMac I7, 8GB, 1TB (also iPad2, iPhone4). All is well except getting random system lockups on the iMac (I have upgraded to Lion), which require a hard restart. I called Apple and they sent me instructions to reset PRAM and NVRAM (which is all greek to me). When I searched on the web, I found many, many similar complaints (although mostly for the 27" iMac), and unbelievably Apple said they were unaware of any lockup issues? HOW CAN THIS BE? I THOUGHT APPLE WAS PRO-ACTIVE TO STUFF LIKE THIS! Is anyone aware of Apple adressing what seems to be a widespread Lion-iMac issue?
    Thanks! <other than this I am very happy with all my Apple products and my Apple experiences so far>

Ken

2. DarthBradicus macrumors member

Well then, if you haven't already, reset your PRAM, like they told you. Just hold down Cmd-Opt-P-R as you restart, until you hear the start chime at least twice, then let go. That may clear up your issues. If not, post back here.

3. Tozzi macrumors regular

Lion is still a .0 release, and it is known to produce problems on some machines, while working perfectly on others.
    Apple are aware of this.
    If you do experience lockups, you might first want to update flash to the latest version, and if that doesn't help, go back to Snow Leopard and wait for 10.7.1 or 10.7.2.

There are lots of fanboys on this forum who don't have any problems and would deny the fact that Lion does have serious issues, and give thumbs down to everyone who experiences them.

Others (even "fanboys" like myself) have had to go back to SL as well for the time being. This release was rushed and Apple seem to have their hands full fixing this disaster.

Make sure you do reset the PRAM, though.

4. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Agree, I had three hard lockups on a 6 month old top end MacPro, the third strike was when it locked up on emptying 1,800 photos from a 2TB drive...the lockup killed the drive, had to be replaced.

I am waiting to upgrade my OS when I upgrade my machine which will be no sooner than two years, no Lion for me.

If you like to ego soothe with new features and wow your self with all kinds of funky new window options and toys like Launchpad, then by all means, go for 10.7, someone has to be the beta and charlie tester....but...

If you want a totally bomber OS that is entirely representative of why Mac is supposed to be a better platform, then do your self a favor, stick with 10.6.8 until Lion is no longer a cub...

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

It's already known that iMac graphics hardware is causing lockups.

6. Tozzi macrumors regular

And MBP and .....
    My iMac is running Lion fine and well.
    But my MBP freezes under Lion, even on a "clean" install (which is something a normal user wouldn't do anyway), no 3rd party software installed.
    No problems under 10.6.8, not even one crash under Windows 7 yet either, in 3 months.
    With Lion, all I have to do is repeatedly start PhotoBooth and quit it, and I'll have a complete freeze sooner or later.

7. Ken1222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, all.
    Gentlefury, can you please elaborate on "It's already known that iMac graphics hardware is causing lockups" I did read that somewhere else (not on MacRumors) and thought Apple would say something to me about that.
    I have the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB.