System loses track of BD Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ScientistRyan, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ScientistRyan macrumors newbie

I have an Asus bluray drive in the lower bay of my 2009 mac pro. I use it to backup my bluray collection with makeMKV and also so I can play the movies on my iDevices.

Now here is the strange thing. When I put a disk in to rip, it works fine and the system sees it and makeMKV rips it flawlessly. But then if I dont get the disk out after a few minutes after the rip finishes, the system seems to lose the drive entirely. By lose I mean the disk disappears from finder, and the drive itself dissapears from disk utility. If I try to look at system profiler after this happens it simply says "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices." when looking in the sata section.

The only way I can get the system to re-recognise the drive is to fully shutdown then reboot. Upon reboot the system sees the disk and drive again fine.

If there is no disk in the drive, the system never loses the drive. Its only when a disk is sitting idle in the drive that the system loses it.

I have checked the connection to the drive and it is fine, so im at a loss as to what is happening here...?

Any insight would be great!

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

could a firmware issue on the bluray drive... try updating to the latest firmware.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen a similar issue here with a Sony DVD drive. If I leave a DVD idle in the drive for too long, the OS will "lose" the drive until I reboot. It's mostly likely not a firmware issue since it's happening with two completely different drives, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll certainly be watching this thread with interest though!

4. MacVidCards Suspended

I have a 2006 with Dual DVD drives.

I leave the Bioshock DVD in lower drive all the time so I can play at will.

Frequently when I ask to play it tells me it needs disc. If I then hit the keystroke to eject the drive it suddenley "finds" it.

Don't know why.

5. ScientistRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Still have this issue unfortunatly and it is getting really irritating.. I check almost daily on the asus site and the firmware it came with is still the latest.. :mad:

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Check out this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1006672

There's a mention that if energy saver is set to turn off drives when possible, that you may lose a CD drive. Not sure if they've found a solution that works for all though. Good luck :)

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, this seems to be happening with multiple brands (and types, as 3rd party DVD burners are doing it too). :(

This fix doesn't work for the Pioneers, and my instincts are telling me it's the same for other makes as well.

So far, the only solution that I know works (temporarily), is to reboot the system when you need to use the optical drive again (which is what the OP's doing).

8. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I should've read your post on that thread before linking it here :p

Wish I had an idea, that's incredibly inconvenient to require a reboot any time you wish to use your drive. Any brands known to work or is it an entirely OS X issue?

9. ScientistRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the updates! I will try messing with my energy saver settings to see if anything changes! If it is this widespread across drives then im thinking this is more a MacPro or OS X problem.

10. codymac macrumors 6502

I've never lost my Pioneer but I never sleep the machine and have all my energy saver stuff turned off.

*shrug*

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

The OEM disks (Pioneer I think, but likely EFI or EBC firmware rather than BIOS). Not sure otherwise in terms of brands.

OEM or 3rd party?

Just curious, as more information could help sort the issue.