System maintenance software.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Qoxiivi, May 10, 2009.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Hi people. I've done a rudimentary search for this on the forums (to avoid duplicating a thread) but haven't found anything yet so am creating a new one :)

I'm having a few problems with my iMac (in sig) and would like to know if there are any good system maintenance programs I can download from anywhere. I tried Apple's download section but Cocktail wouldn't work and neither would that 'Genius' one. Are there any others that people use?

Thanks a lot - really want to see if I can't sort out a few of the problems my Mac's having.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Onyx is pretty good, does a lot of different stuff.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It helps if you can describe exactly what kinds of problems you're having, since the solution may be something very simple, or it may require a very specific solution.

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

What exact type of maintenance do you wish to run, in order to fix which sorts of problems?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Hi peeps. Well, to be honest, I'm having a few problems. Firstly, my iMac keeps sending itself to sleep. I think I know why this is; it's insides are clogged with dust causing it to overheat and put itself to sleep as a precaution.

However, despite this (which I'll need to get sorted out at an Apple-approved service centre no doubt) it's also doing some odd things. Applications are crashing more often, occasionally I move my mouse down to the bottom of the screen and the dock doesn't appear, it's really really slow - in a way it's never been before. Sure, it doesn't help that I've had to turn the CPU to 'reduced' so that it doesn't overheat quickly, but still, it's taking ages to do anything.

I'm just wondering if I can run a few maintenance/diagnostic/repair programs on it to help it out :(

Hope that helps - I'll try out Onyx and IceClean :)

7. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Hi guys - both those apps appear to require OSX 10.5 and I only have 10.4.11 I'm afraid... unless there are older versions of those apps available?

Thanks!

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

You may want to try an 'archive and install' or pick up a copy of leopard and do fresh install and migrate your data/apps over.

it could be hard drive issues, memory issues, logic board etc....so it might help to start clean and see if the problem continually persists

in addition you may want to run the Apple Hardware Test on your Restore Discs
    as well as Repairing Permissions and Verifying your Disk within Disk Utility.