System Mechanic & Reg Cleaner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S-mac-k, Apr 17, 2011.

1. S-mac-k macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Advise people. Please.

I used these on my PC running Vista. 

Is it possible to use with OSX or is there some form of tidy up programme preinstalled/app to install?

As a former Windoze user, these programmes were a Godsend. 

I know storage on a mac differs to that of pc so is there any need? & also, if I had an SSD, would this be detrimental to the storage cells?

Please help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any such apps on Mac OS X. There is no registry and you don't need to defrag or do other maintenance to keep Mac OS X running properly.

3. S-mac-k thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Beautiful! Seems making the change even sweeter!

A further question which I'm slightly miffed by? In a recent post you were involved in you mention something about root user?

So let me get this straight. As the main user with admin level use, I am ok on the mac for malware etc? Or do I setup a user ac with restricted privileges & use that for day to day? My partner may use my mbp so this could potentially save me time & hassle no?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Running as an admin user isn't the same as running as root. You can certainly use a normal account for everyday use and only run admin as needed. Many of us run as admin all the time without problems. Again, admin is not the same as root. Read the Virus/Malware info link to learn how to protect yourself from malware.

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

6. S-mac-k thread starter macrumors member

I shall indeed!

Thank you Sir.

7. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Most maintenance apps for Mac cause more problems than they fix. The free app called "Maintenance" is the least problematic. Most of it's functions do not need to be used but cache and log cleaning can free up a fair bit of space. The rebuilding services are helpful when you have specific issues related to each function.

If you decide to use this app or any app that asks to verify disk, including Disk Utility in the Utilities folder, it can cause the condition in Time Machine where you can access backups but new backups will not be created. This does not occur every time. But, make sure to manually turn off backups for the duration of the task before performing "verify disk."

8. iMackPro macrumors 6502

WOWWW!! talk about walking down memory lane!! GGJ i haven't heard about Defrag in SO long! i completely forgot how i used to have to Defrag my old Dell desktop and i believe it took around 7 hours:D

9. iMackPro macrumors 6502

What kind of partner……………

10. S-mac-k thread starter macrumors member

My gf.

& I only did a defrag last week on my old custom built pc. Funny thing is, after u deleted everything, it ran like a rocket!