System Meltdown (or so it seems)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monsterdustin, Sep 27, 2012.

1. monsterdustin macrumors newbie

Alright, I was doing a Macintosh HD disk erase for my early 2011 model 13 inch Macbook Pro. i came back about halfway during the erasing process to find that the disk erase had ceased due to an error about halfway through the process. I thought "Ok no big deal ill just put it back into recovery mode and all will be well". Yeah not so much, i attempted to boot the recovery dive, i got an option but it would not allow me to click on it. So i am at a standstill and don't know what to do. Any ideas so i don't lose my sanity?

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

If I understood correctly, you have all your data on a separate drive. If that's case, can't you just make a clean install via disk on the primary drive, and then check if your data is lost or not.

Then either transfer your data via Time Machine (if possible) or take it from the start.

Let me know any more details, don't rush into things. Google a bit more

3. monsterdustin thread starter macrumors newbie

I only backed up the most important files onto another disk. My expectations were to wipe the drive clean, put it into recovery mode and preform a clean install of lion. Im not sure what to do at this point, when i power it on, it stays at a grey screen, and when i hold the option key either goes to an un-clickable recovery drive option or an internet recovery option.

4. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

so just perform an internet recovery (no?)

since you have your important stuff on another disk, you will only have to go though re-installations of your software & re-setting them accordingly.

I know, it is a drag, but the life with the computer is as such.

5. monsterdustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well as it turns out i appear to have a Hard Drive failure. I found a way into the recovery disk and when i select my main drive (my only drive) it says "this drive has a hardware problem that cant be repaired" I guess it truly is a system meltdown.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is it still under warranty? If so, a trip to the Apple Store is need to get the hard drive replaced. If the hard drive is still good, can you download Lion using a friends Mac and make a bootable installer from it to use to reinstall Lion on your MBP?

7. monsterdustin thread starter macrumors newbie

No, its not under warrenty anymore. I think im going to order a new hard drive and buy mountian lion for it. Thanks for the help.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If it's an early 2011 MBP, why don't you boot from the Snow Leopard disc and run Disk Utility on the internal hard drive to see what it says. If the hard drive isn't dead you may be able to then reformat it and install Snow Leopard.

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would call Apple and let them know that the hard drive failed. Believe me, stranger things have happened than Apple replacing a component shortly after the warranty is up.