System memory problem, HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kikobarbada, Jul 29, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

My computer is running really slow. I found out the reason of that on the Activity Monitor. ON the System Memory tab, it shows:
    Wired: 250MB
    Active: 220MB
    INACTIVE: 1500MB???
    Free: 25MB

How can I transfer some of the inactive to the free and why does it show that? And yes, I have restarted the computer.

Thanks.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Inactive memory is at least as good as free memory, you might want to read about it over att Apple, "Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor".

If the computer is running slow, it isn't because of the memory. Since you've used Activity Montior and only complain about the memory, I'll assume that the CPU is nearly idle.

Is the harddrive nearly full? Have you used Disk Utility to verify the drive?

3. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Have you checked the Activity Monitor to see if anything strange is going on there?

4. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

Disk Utility says that the drive needs repair, but can't perform the repair because the hard drive is not letting it or something like that.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Boot from your OS X install disc and run disk utility from there, it'll most likely let you make the repairs you need to make.

In any case, inactive RAM is fine, but your HDD may be having its own issues.

6. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

In order to repair the drive, you need to boot from the OS X install disk and select disk utility from the utilities menu.

7. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

OK, but if that does not help, what else?

One of the main issues is that it takes about 2 minutes for the Macbook to load. And I have taken out all Login Items.