System memory problem, HELP!

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
My computer is running really slow. I found out the reason of that on the Activity Monitor. ON the System Memory tab, it shows:
Wired: 250MB
Active: 220MB
INACTIVE: 1500MB???
Free: 25MB

How can I transfer some of the inactive to the free and why does it show that? And yes, I have restarted the computer.

Thanks.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
My computer is running really slow. I found out the reason of that on the Activity Monitor. ON the System Memory tab, it shows:
Wired: 250MB
Active: 220MB
INACTIVE: 1500MB???
Free: 25MB

How can I transfer some of the inactive to the free and why does it show that? And yes, I have restarted the computer.
Inactive memory is at least as good as free memory, you might want to read about it over att Apple, "Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor".

If the computer is running slow, it isn't because of the memory. Since you've used Activity Montior and only complain about the memory, I'll assume that the CPU is nearly idle.

Is the harddrive nearly full? Have you used Disk Utility to verify the drive?

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Disk Utility says that the drive needs repair, but can't perform the repair because the hard drive is not letting it or something like that.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
Disk Utility says that the drive needs repair, but can't perform the repair because the hard drive is not letting it or something like that.
In order to repair the drive, you need to boot from the OS X install disk and select disk utility from the utilities menu.

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
OK, but if that does not help, what else?

One of the main issues is that it takes about 2 minutes for the Macbook to load. And I have taken out all Login Items.