System messed up after full restore to Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heyo, Jan 13, 2011.

1. heyo macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.6.6, recently updated.

Yesterday, I installed Logic Pro 9, and it didn't seem to finish properly the first time, since I had accidentally asked to install extra content that I didn't have disks for. So, I installed it again. Right after trying to run it, I started getting full system crashes and the pinwheel.

So, I decided to restore to a Time Machine backup I had done a few days earlier, hoping that I would just "start" fresh. Without realizing it, I had inserted the Leopard install dvd that came with my computer, and restored to my 10.6.6 backup. I got the "You must restart your computer" error, which I found out was a result of using the Leopard disk. So, I redid the restore using a Snow Leopard installer on USB.

After this, everything appeared to be working fairly well. However, today, I've started to get system crashes quite frequently, and at times I haven't been able to properly shut down or restart. I noticed that Spotlight was indexing, and would hang at "3 hours remaining" or "estimating time left." Right now, I have created a second admin account, and I have disabled indexing. It seems to be working, at least temporarily, because I'm using it right now.

I have tried repairing disk, repairing disk permissions, using DiskWarrior and Applejack (on AUTO setting).
    None of these seem to have fixed the crashes I have been getting on my main admin account.

Any thoughts?

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I would boot to 10.6 install disc, and use disk utility to re-partition the drive, then install 10.6. Restore time machine backup, then immediately run 10.6.6 Combo updater.

You might also want to get SmartCTL for mac and make sure there are no pending sectors on your HD.

See if that works. Good luck.