System Prefences > Desktop & Screen Saver. Problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zac-a-Mac, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Zac-a-Mac macrumors newbie

So this is my first post here on Mac Forums. Hello everyone.

O.K. My problem is that I want to change my Desktop picture, so I go to System Preferences then to Desktop & Screen Savers. That all works fine up until I try going through the different pictures, and the scrolling gets choppy and then I get the little "loading" emblem thingy, and it just stays like. I sat there waiting for 15 minutes then I just force quit the program. I have tried restarting my mac and it does it again. It works just fine with every other option things in System preferences and only freezes when I got to Desktop & Screen Savers.

Now the other day I was online and right clicked on an image and selected "Use Image as Desktop Picture" that was working fine but I wanted to go back to my original image so I did what I just said in the paragraph above.

Even though I can't change my image through System Preferences I can still do the "Use Image as Desktop Image" if it is an image that is online.

I am wondering if I can fix this or if I need to go to the Genius Bar at the Apple store (which I don't really want to do). Also any Ideas on why it is all of a sudden doing this, I have had this mac for like 3 weeks and before I could go through the desktops with breeze.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One idea is to trash the preference file for it. It's located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist where ~ is your home directory. To be safe, you can just move that file to your Desktop or somewhere else that way you have a backup. It'll be recreated anyways, you just may need to resetup some preferences afterward.

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Welcome to MR. It would help people a lot if you told us :

What kind of Mac..
    Specs on the Mac.
    What version of Mac OS you use..

Now..

Repair permissions. Make sure you have all updates installed.

Restart the computer.

4. Zac-a-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry Peace. I have a 15" Aluminum Mac Book Pro, 2.53 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 9400m Nividia Geforce Gpu, Apple Care Plan, Mac OS X version 10.5.7.

5. Zac-a-Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Peace I did what you said and it seems to be working just fine now. Thank all for the quick replies. It is Greatly appreciated.