System Preferences continues to quit unexpectedly!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pepperboy93, Aug 8, 2008.

1. pepperboy93 macrumors newbie

My macbook (not pro, currently running OSX 10.4.11) had been working fine for a while until about a month ago . I was out of town without my computer so I didnt address the problem until now. Neither my volume or brightness control keys work by using the F1-F5 buttons. I had a similar problem once before, but this was fixed by system preferences. When I open system preferences it is fine. However, whenever I click on Security, Displays, Mouse and Keyboard, or Sound, it "quits unexpectedly". All the other options to click on in system preferences work just fine. I think this came about when I tried to reinstall frontrow a while ago. For this I downloaded something called Pacifist and the fontrow update, as this is what I heard I needed to do. However, I have deleted both of these downloads and the problem still continues. Please If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The System Preferences caches are probably corrupt. You can fix this by going into your user folder -> Library -> Caches and deleting stuff with System Preferences or systempreferences in its name. Also, go to Macintosh HD -> Library -> Caches and do the same thing.

3. pepperboy93 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the advice. i tried this and it didnt work, so i cleared all the caches I thought could possiby be related as well as a few others and still no progress. THnk you though

4. ZaneVeritas macrumors newbie

It Worked!

Hey I just thought I'd let everyone know that deleting those files worked!! I had to delete a few of them but after I did it worked right away. Thank you thank you.