System preferences crash after install

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by silverowhite2, Oct 4, 2011.

1. silverowhite2 macrumors newbie

Wonder if anyone can help me,

Just installed Lion, and hovering over the top task bar (time, bluetooth, airport etc..) and opening system preferences result in the spinning wheel meaning i can't change any settings at all. Obviously this is a massive pain.

Anyone out there know how to resolve this issue at all?

2. LarQuiz macrumors newbie

same here..

Im just saying that I'm with the exactly same problem.. I've tried everything from moving iPhoto library to deleting .plists and stuff.. I don't want to do whole reinstall of lion cos that would be quite a pain in the ass.. Just hoping someone knows the trick to fix this :- )

LarQuiz

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

how much RAM do you have?

4. silverowhite2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried those techniques too but to no avail.

I have 6gb of ram so that shouldn't be a problem.

5. jempajenny macrumors newbie

This is my problem - similar.

When I try to look at my iCloud and e-mail/contacts/calendar settings system preferences "goes mad" and finally shuts down and report is sent to Apple. "Goes mad" = starts using ALL of my memory (8GB), fans full blast. If I just open system p... and work as I usually do on the computer 75% of the 8Gb is not in use = green.

icloud, e-mail, contacts and calendar works fine, its just the settings I can't get to.

Help anyone! Thanks

/Jenny

6. afoessel macrumors newbie

silverowhite2 ... I have the same issue. With 6GB in iMac, launching System Preferences depletes memory and brings computer to halt. The issue happens mostly when trying to open "mail/calendars/..". Also unsure of what to do here ... the program just eats memory and usually ends in a crash.