System Preferences crash help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bryantlc, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bryantlc macrumors member

I just bought a new iMac on Aug. 7. When I enter System Preferences and they Display/Screensaver the program opens and then immediately crashes. The Display/Screensaver opened the first time I tried. I selected a picture for my background. Ever since then all it will do is crash when I try to open. Can anyone suggest something to help?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I would first try repairing permissions. (applications > utilities > Disk Utility > select your HD and "repair disk permissions")

If that does not work, you can delete the plist file for desktop . info

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're afraid of deleting preference files (even though there's really no reason to be), then creating a new user account will have the same effect and is a good way of testing whether the problem is sourced from your account or from the entire system.

4. bryantlc thread starter macrumors member

I guess the background and screen saver resets when I delete preferences. I will try this when I get home.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It depends which file you remove/delete. I'd personally go for com.apple.systempreferences.plist as a start. I'm almost 100% sure that'll get rid of your screensaver customised settings too, and return them to their default. :)

6. bryantlc thread starter macrumors member

7. rhysscb macrumors newbie

help

I have the same problem on a macbook pro, using leapard 10.5.6,
    but when i go into my preferences folder, i cant find com.apple.systempreferences.plist, it isnt listed anywhere,

can u guys help me?:confused:

8. georgebrazil macrumors newbie

9. bluelincolnpark macrumors newbie

Solution to the problem!!!

1. go to terminal

2. type:

sudo dscl . -delete /users/Guest1

and ur done. problem solved. the problem with the accounts crash is the guest1 account.:)