Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grant-nz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Can anyone help with the attached crash? Clicking users and groups is crashing system preferences.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Process.doc
    88 KB · Views: 167

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have not tried this myself, but there is a solution offered here that might work for you. Make sure you have backed up first.

Lord Xeb

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Someplace in the Nor' East
Another alternative is to create a new user profile and see if it still happens that way. Single user mode :)

mount -uw /
rm -rf /var/db/.applesetupdone done
reboot

Then follow the steps and create a test account and see if you still have issues. If not, then you can always pull your data from one account to another. Just remove the ailing account but tell it not to delete the home folder (the "Don't change the home folder" option)
Afterward, set the permissions so you can have access to everything inside with terminal
chmod -R 777 /Users/<nameofbaduseraccount>
When you start typing the name of the account right after users, press tab, and it will complete for you.

Documents to documents, pictures to pictures. Then you go into the library and pull out your address book, calenders, google, firefox, and safari profiles, etc.

If you are running lion or above, you can access the library in the ailing account (since it is hidden) by using go to.
Press cmd + shift + g and type in the path to the library
Exampe: /Users/LordXeb (deleted)/Library/

Addressbook is within Application support, along with I believe chrome's browser profile and I think firefox as well. If not, then everything else will just be in the library and you can copy it to yours by opening it up in a new window:
cmd + shift + g and type ~/Library

Then just drag and drop what you need over and replace whatever is there if it already exists.

Last edited:

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
It does look like a corrupt system file. That could be caused by a hardware issue such as a failing HDD (bad block) or bad memory module. So, before trying to create a new user, first try running Apple Hardware Test. (hold down the "D" key when booting... If that doesn't work, hold down "option" + "D" keys to use the hardware test from the Apple site)

If AHT shows everything OK, the easiest solution is to recreate your system from a Time Machine Backup (use a date prior to the problems happening). Next you could try one of the suggestions for creating a new User.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.