System Preferences Energy Saver UPS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevn, Feb 20, 2011.

1. kevn macrumors newbie

How many of you are using a UPS Back-UPS with Snow Leopard, 10.6.6?
    Is APC UPS Back-UPS ES 750 fully compatible with iMac using Snow Leopard 10.6.6? I am using the native Mac OS energy saver UPS in System Preferences to control the UPS, since APC doesn't offer software for OS X 10.6.6. Is your "time remaining" unsupported? Will the MAC OS actually shut down your computer according to your UPS settings in System Preferences?

Finally is the ES 570 powerful enough for a 21.5" iMac?

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I use the ES 750 and it's wonderful with my 24" iMac. It is indeed fully compatible with 10.6.6.
    The UPS will shut down the iMac when needed due to power failure. Go to System Prefs>Energy Saver. Click on the UPS tab, then click on Shutdown Options. I have the top box checked with 5 minutes as my runtime before shutdown. I also have the UPS status shown in the menu bar.
    On a side note, here is a bit of info on UPS sizes for iMacs.

From the iMac specs: Maximum continuous power: 200W (20-inch models); 241W (21.5 inch models); 280W (24-inch models)

; 365W (27 inch models). 280W is about 475VA.

The ES750 is rated at 750VA, so there is plenty of power there. I keep my iMac, external hard drive and cable modem connected to the battery side of the UPS; everything else is connected to the surge protector side.

So you have a fine UPS that is way powerful for your needs and the Energy Saver pref will allow the UPS to shut down your iMac in case of power failure.