System Preferences help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Behem0th, May 4, 2010.

1. Behem0th macrumors newbie

I am using a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.4.11. Recently, I started my computer to find that my volume buttons don't work. With a bit of testing, I found that the keys work just fine, the volume was the problem. So, I went to the System preferences, and every time I opened the 'Sound' pane, the application quit, and asked me if I want to send and error report. I then tried to create a keyboard shortcut, but that pane didn't work either. I've tried deleting the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file, and that doesn't work. I've tried everything, from repairing my permissions, to restarting while holding cmd+option+o+p at startup. Please help me!!

2. Behem0th thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Including this one:
    HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systempreferences.0016cbad5z6r.plist
    ???

(random number will vary, I edited it anyway)

Have you also tried logging in under a different User Account?

It always amuses me when I see "I've tried everything" and then "anyone have another suggestion"? (in your case "please help") :rolleyes:

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Do you happen to have a backup drive with the OS loaded on it, as well? If you do, try booting from the backup, and see if it still crashes.

The idea is to ascertain whether your problem is hardware or software-based.

Hardware-based, and you're likely to have problems no matter which system disk you boot from.

But if it's a software problem "localized" to your current system folder, you could probably correct it by a system re-install (something you only want to do when nothing else works).

A couple of other online resources to try:
    macfixit.com
    macintouch.com (they have user forums and a search tool, perhaps someone there has experienced a similar problem).

Last-ditch suggestion: spend $30 for a copy of the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD. If your problem is software-based, this probably will cure it!

Remember that if it's something malfunctioning "in the hardware", software fixes won't correct it...

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

OP has Tiger, not Leopard. Apple sells the box set with iWork for $169 and the $29 version for Leopard owners.

6. Behem0th thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've tried both of those.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I didn't notice this before. MFI is defunct. It was absorbed by Cnet several months ago.

Apple has forums, and there are many others.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"OP has Tiger, not Leopard. Apple sells the box set with iWork for $169 and the $29 version for Leopard owners."

To the original poster (Behem0th):

IGNORE the post I quoted above.

If you have an intel MacBook Pro, you CAN install 10.6 from the $30 Snow Leopard "upgrade" DVD. It DOES work! Save yourself the money!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you installed Audio Update 2007-001, which resolves an audio issue?
    Also, have you installed any 3rd party preference items?

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

11. Behem0th thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the update, and I can't install it, as I have 10.4.11. I have installed DivX, MacFuse, Growl, and one that alters the startup sound.

I'm going to get snow leopard now.