System Preferences is on CRACK!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GraphikGeek, Aug 11, 2011.

1. GraphikGeek macrumors newbie

Here's the deal... I'm designing a website through a local host (XAMPP) and when I go to give that folder Admin Read&Write permissions.. The SQL server crashes and then as soon as I restart my computer.. My system preferences are all outta whack.. My trackpad doesn't do tap to click, my toolbar goes trasparent.. ect.. Also, my date and time goes crazy.. When I try to change it.. System preferences crashes... This is NO BUENO!!

Is this something I am doing wrong??? Please help!! :(

2. ensjesse macrumors newbie

Reset PRAM? Lol Are you giving these permissions in the finder or terminal?

3. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Is all the software that you're running compatible with the Mac O/S your running?

4. GraphikGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

"ensjesse"
    I wasn't sure that resetting the PRAM would help my situation. I was told that with the newer operating systems that resetting the PRAM is no longer a "cure-all" and should only be used when:

-the computer doesn’t know where to boot from. (After HD issues are ruled out).
    -resetting the sound volumes.
    -resetting display settings if they got messed up from a projector or someone getting experimental.

I have been using Finder to reset these permissions.. I do not use terminal that often..

"basher"

I am running Snow Leopard and the program that I am using for my local server is XAMPP 1.7.3. That is why I have been changing permissions. I would think that is compatible with Snow Leopard but I haven't checked into it.

Thank you so much for the replies! I'm a PC turned Mac and I am still getting the hang of it..