Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macisawesomezxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Guys please help me. So far I repaired the disk permissions.
I REALLY NEED MY SYSTEM PREFERNCES :confused: !!! Please help. Thanks a bunch!!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
What Mac OS X version do you use?
Did you install any application lately or modified something?
Did you try deleting the "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" file in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

macisawesomezxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
simsala: I am using 10.6.8
I have been using CleanMyMac to scan for files and clean them. Yes. I have deleted "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" but still does not work!
Recently, I did something however I do not know if it concerns this problem. I went to "Go to folders" searched /private/etc/hosts
I included #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com.

Nov 28, 2010
located
simsala: I am using 10.6.8
I have been using CleanMyMac to scan for files and clean them. Yes. I have deleted "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" but still does not work!
Recently, I did something however I do not know if it concerns this problem. I went to "Go to folders" searched /private/etc/hosts
I included #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com.

The source of your problem might be CleanMyMac (CleanMyMac cleaned too much) as editing the hosts file to exclude Apple's Signature Server for iOS devices shouldn't be the problem.

If you hopefully still have the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD or your Restore DVD, put it into your Mac and reinstall Mac OS X, none of your files will be deleted, the system will just be repaired.
Do a backup before though, one never knows, what can go wrong.

Btw, cleaning apps are not needed:
Five Mac maintenance myths

macisawesomezxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Yes, I thought so. I just deleted CleanMyMac. Thanks for helping.
However, when I bought my iMac, no disk were provided. HOW !!??
Do you have any more ideas???

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, I thought so. I just deleted CleanMyMac. Thanks for helping.
However, when I bought my iMac, no disk were provided. HOW !!??
Do you have any more ideas???

Look at my signature to find out how to uninstall something completely, if you haven't done that already.

Where did you buy your Mac?
And what exact Mac (Model Identifier) do you have?
MR_identify_your_Mac_short.png

Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version, visualised in a more elaborate image
Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version using this 25 second video tutorial (3MB, .mp4, H.264)

And you could contact Apple to get you replacement disks for 15 to 30 USD, maybe even for free, if you bought your Mac via Apple.

macisawesomezxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
I bought my Mac known as EpiCentre, One of Apple retail stores in Singapore.
To be exact, Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Good video ! I will subscribe to you!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I bought my Mac known as EpiCentre, One of Apple retail stores in Singapore.
Then if you can, contact or go to them, and ask for the grey System Restore DVDs, they are normally included with all NEW Macs. Even Refurbished Macs have Restore DVDs. Only used Macs sometimes come without those DVDs.

To be exact, Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Your only option to reinstall Mac OS X is via those Restore DVDs, as the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD only includes 10.6.3 and your Mac came with 10.6.6, meaning, 10.6.3 does not include drivers for 2011 hardware and is therefore unusable.
You could also get Mac OS X 10.7 Lion via the USB flash memory thumb drive Apple offers for 69 USD or download Lion via Mac App Store (MAS), but only if you want to use Lion.

Good video ! I will subscribe to you!
Thanks. Hopefully it was understandable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.