System preferences load, but doing anything closes unexpectedly!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Saechao09, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Saechao09 macrumors newbie

Okay, so I've had this problem for a while now. I've been google-ing about it, and nothing has really helped. At first it wouldn't open at all, it will just quit unexpectedly. Then I went through and deleted the library desktop pictures, and moved all my picture folders to iPhoto, and system preferences finally opened! To my dismay, if I try to click on anything else on the screen, it just quits unexpectedly again.

Things I've tried:
    - Changing my desktop background
    - Deleting Library > Desktop Pictures
    - Moving picture files into iPhoto
    - I have no systempref.plists whatsoever
    - Repairing permissions
    - Updating my softare

Is my only option taking it into the Apple store? ;/

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What does your desktop have to do with anything? Are you accessing System Preferences though  -> System Preferences, /Applications/System Preferences.app, or right-clicking on your desktop -> Change Desktop Background?

3. Zyniker macrumors 6502

One thing that is (almost) always worth attempting when you get strange issues on a Mac: Repair Disk Permissions

1. Open Disk Utility.
    2. Select your hard drive (on which OS X is installed).
    3. Click "Repair Disk Permission"

4. Saechao09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, if you google "system preferences closing unexpectedly" most of the help threads that come up are ones that deal with the background being the problem. Apparently changing the desktop background to one that's in the Mac HD library helps? It didn't work for me though.

And Zyniker, I've already tried it. ;/

5. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Unless you happen to have some OS X diagnostic tools laying around...you're probably looking at a trip to the Apple Store. Tech Tool Deluxe by any chance?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's not actually an answer to the question. What I'm wondering is if it's the Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane that's causing the crashing.