System Preferences Locks Up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrtekkid, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mrtekkid macrumors regular

I'm hoping that someone can help me out here because I am beyond frustrated with this error now. I just got a new uMBP today. Really nice machine. I have a Time Machine backup of my old system that I used to restore onto the new system using Migration Assistant.

I must say it was very easy to use, and it took all my information and data from my old computer and migrated it to my new system with ease. It saved days of software installation and resetting preferences and everything. Tested software and everything opens fine as if it had been installed on this system itself.

Slight problem though with System Preferences though, specifically the Screen Savers portion. It is very clunky and will eventually lock up System Preferences as a whole. I have to Force Quit it and reopen it again. It does not do this anywhere else in the System Preferences.

I have removed the com.apple.systempreferences.plist
    and even the: com.apple.ScreenSaver.Engine.plist from:
    ~/Library/Preferences

Both individually as well as together and rebooted the machine, but no luck, System Preferences still locks up when visiting the screen saver section. I even went in and manually deleted the screen savers that I had installed and rebooted and still did not have any luck.

At this point I went in and did an archive and install of the OS as well thinking that maybe there was a conflict with the OS during the migration. It still locks up in the screen saver panel.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be doing this? It's not a major thing for me to really worry about, but if there is something wrong with the OS I would prefer to negate it now as compared to adding issues onto it later, if that makes sense.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I think I am going to install a screen saver into the system again and see if that maybe kicks it out of it's funk.

Thanks in advance. If you need any other information in resolving this issue, please let me know. Console wasn't really displaying an information relevant to the crash regarding screen savers or system preferences and then locks up on quit as well.

2. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

I stand corrected.... after accessing the Screen Saver panel in System Preferences, it will proceed to lock up and/or lag the rest of System Preferences after leaving it.... but it will not lock up them if you do not access the screen saver portion.

Hoping if this isn't resolvable now that it will magically fix itself in Snow Leopard....

3. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

4. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Thank you so so much! This has been driving me crazy for weeks now, and after reinstalling the iLife media browser everything works like a treat!

5. audio_inside macrumors regular

Similar symptoms can appear after Aperture 3.x updates with either iLife '09 or iLife '11 installed. In fact, the whole iLife media sharing scheme can be disrupted.

The solution is to quit Aperture, then remove the file ~/Pictures/Aperture Library/iLifeShared/ApertureDatabaseTimestamp.