System Preferences Not Responding OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cloudmonsterr, May 20, 2012.

1. cloudmonsterr macrumors newbie

Hi all Mac Users, anyone knows how to troubleshoot this problem? I opened up my System Preferences for Mac to change my desktop picture, but it keeps hanging, so I opened Console and got the following. I've already restarted the Mac FIVE TIMES, but the same problem persisted. ):

Attached Files:

2. Damo01 macrumors regular

Try the lion recovery assistant or do reinstall of lion. It may do wonders and may fix up the problem you having with system preferences. Backup any important data if needed.

3. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

Have you tried verifying/repairing permissions through the disk utility? failing that (apart from using the lion recovery). It could be a simple matter of that.

Hope This Helps :D

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

Have you installed any 3rd party preference panes?

Look in ~/Library/PreferencePanes and /System/Library/PreferencePanes

Perhaps move any to a temporary location, reboot then and the, back in one at a time to find out which one is causing the problem.

5. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Try booting up in safe mode and see if it happens there. If not, then it might be an issue caused by some recent files/apps.

When did the issue start?
    Have you installed anything new or done anything differently.

6. Max Huang macrumors newbie

Not working.

Hi there, I have try to use the disk utility to repair the disk, but it still not working. That's anything that I miss out? Pls help me, thanks:(

7. keithymart40 macrumors newbie

system preferences frozen

yesterday I changed my desktop picture successfully but ever since I have not been able to get out of system preferences. It just hangs there like its looking for more pictures in iPhoto. I have tried all the suggestions below apart from a reboot of Lion.

I have used disk utility to verify disk and repair any problems
    I have removed folders from Library/PreferencePanes and /System/Library/PreferencePanes with no change
    I have deleted iphoto

There is no difference when booting in safe mode

Anybody find a solution or got any ideas

Thanks for help

8. keithymart40 macrumors newbie

sydtem preference frozen

problem solved by deleting iPhoto and reloading it :)

9. nyynyj, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

nyynyj macrumors newbie

All about iPhoto

All depends on where you are at in terms of new or established Mac. Mine is fairly new and this all started when I went to change pictures on my monitors. I had not set up Time Machine, so I did not have a good image to revert to.

I put everything of worth onto an external hard drive, deleted iPhoto, then reinstalled Lion. That did the trick, and I immediately activated Time Machine.

Today I went to change a picture, it hung, and I just did Command/r on start-up and opted to restore from Time Machine, and used last image from when things worked well.

All good, albeit annoying. That System Preferences is that vulnerable ,,, or that iPhoto corruption can affect this very essential utility ,,, I think those need to decouple.

10. spaultivarious macrumors newbie

I just fixed my background pic/system preferences color wheel issue without any uninstall/reinstall headaches.

Open iPhoto select any picture. Click "Share" tab at the top then "Set Desktop". Done.

My daughter had set the desktop picture to something she found online. I'm assuming it wasnt something that was saved to our iPhoto. Sys Pref hung up looking through iPhoto for the pic and could never find it.