System Preferences not working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eros1809, Feb 6, 2012.

1. eros1809 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.
    Since yesterday my imac 27 2.8 i7, won't open system preferences panel.
    Not from menu neither from application folder. The day before i did some maintenance with tech tool. Maybe I did something wrong?!
    I searched on google and tried deleting some files, nothing happened.
    I tried to repair permission with Onyx, nothing.
    I tried then to start the imac from a bootable HD and all worked fine again. I even used disk utility to repair disk which seemed corrupt.
    But then again I cannot open system preferences when starting directly from the imac. Any thoughts?
    The imac runs snow leopard and the superdrive keeps ejecting the installation disc, but works fine with dvd??
    Thanks
    Eros

2. Patra01 macrumors newbie

System Preferences not working

Hi eros1809,

I do understand your PC problem, and hope you will short out it very quickly. However you have tried the initial steps to make your computer preference working, and My suggestions is to consult with any hardware who will make it run conveniently. Because changing something in your computer again and again might be caused something new issues.

Wish you all the best !

----------------------------
    orissa property

3. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

You don't say what you used to clean your system? Onyx? something else? Hard to suggest a remedy without knowing more..

4. eros1809 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!
    As I stated I did use Onyx and even disk utility. I had to run disk utility from a bootable HD i made with superduper.
    Point is that when booting with external HD all seems fine. When starting as usual no access to system preference panel...
    Any ideas? Have to reinstall snow leopard?
    Ciao
    Eros

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Onyx is quite unnecessary - in fact it can do more harm than good!

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

^^

Yes, that's true, but the OP has done it now, so...You are running SL. DO you have the original installation DVD that came with your Mac?

----------

Also, Time Machine backups???

7. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on adding absolutely nothing to the discussion.

To the OP:

Try deleting the "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" file from the "Library/Preferences" folder in your home folder. You never know, it might be corrupted or something.

Is there anything logged in the console application?

If you start Activity Monitor and then start the System Preferences application, does it show up in the list of processes at all? Does it stay there, doing nothing (look for memory and CPU usage).

8. eros1809 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did have the installation disc. And yes I already deleted the "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" file.
    What do I do with the installation disc? Already repaired permissions and verified disc! Should I trash the application on then install it back.

9. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

No TM backups? Then I'd say backup all you can and re-install. Onyx is powerful, I use some of the features but only scripts and cleaning. It's also terrible at Disk Permissions, and does screw things up. (as you have found)

10. eros1809 thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what I was thinking!
    Thanks for the info. Will try later on