Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Hi.

I bought my very first macbook few months ago, so I'm just getting used to how it works.

I have recently had a problem with the system preferences.

It shows in the dock with a hazard symbol in front of it, when I try to open it the following appears.

You can't open the application system preferences because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Can someone please give me some advice on what to do.

Thanks.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If it were me, I would probably use the restore discs that came with the computer and do an archive and install of the system

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

SnapperNZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Assuming you have 10.6 I would download 10.6.2 update and install that first. You may find the update includes a copy of the system preferences.app.

Failing that, if you can get hold of another mac with the same OS and patch level then copy the system preferences.app off that.

This is a good reason to look at Time Machine - as you could have simply restored the .app from that.......

Let us know how you get on.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'd drag com.apple.systempreferences.plist out onto the Desktop and then go back into the application. If no change, then Restart. The idea is to let the OS generate a new plist file.

I'm on Leopard, but your plist file should be similarly located:
Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences

If that doesn't help, go with the more "serious" measures above.

s.mahjoob

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Pacifist

for solving this issue you can follow these steps:
1-download Pacifist from internet (trial)
2-extract contents of installation DVD via Pacifist (open package)
3-searching for system preferences in search bar
4-extract System Preferences.app to Application folder

SnapperNZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Gregg2's idea of moving the plist is a good and easy thing to try, if you haven't already!

Last but not least, I could even email you the .app file - reply back here if you want that......

debie2401

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
I am having exactly the same problem and I have tried what has been suggested on here but still no luck. Can anyone send me more information please

Thanks
debbie

Last but not least, I could even email you the .app file - reply back here if you want that......[/QUOTE]

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I am having exactly the same problem and I have tried what has been suggested on here but still no luck. Can anyone send me more information please

Thanks
debbie

Last but not least, I could even email you the .app file - reply back here if you want that......

If deleting the .plist file didn't work, using the install CD as stated in post #7 should have. Did you do that?

deuce22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks very much for all your help.

I found the original disk that came with the mac and re-installed the applications file again.

IndyCarTim

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
DFW, Texas
I purchased a pre-owned MacBook and I did NOT receive the original cds that came with it. I'm getting this error message now. Is there any chance someone can email me the system preferences file for 10.6.7? I REALLY hope so since I'm out of ideas...

indycartim@gmail.com

Thanks in advance! Any other suggestions would be helpful too...

Timm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.