Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jericho14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
South Florida
Whenever I click on SYSTEM PREFERENCES icon at the bottom of my Desktop, instead of System Preferences, the iCloud Preferences Window pops up on my screen.....
Any idea why this is happening?
How can I fix this?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Most likely, you are not quitting the System Preferences app, but rather just minimizing it to the dock. So, it will come up with whatever you last worked on.
That's the only thing that makes sense. unless there is some software bug in which case make sure all of your software is up to date.

scott:mac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Great Britain
Whenever I click on SYSTEM PREFERENCES icon at the bottom of my Desktop, instead of System Preferences, the iCloud Preferences Window pops up on my screen.....
How can I fix this?
Force quit System Preferences using CMD+Q. Does this happen after restarting your machine?

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I had something similar happen on my cMP 5,1. When it shows the iCloud preferences instead of System Prefs, is the back arrow showing in the menu bar? If so, click it to get back to main preference window, then quit from there.

Jericho14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
South Florida
I had something similar happen on my cMP 5,1. When it shows the iCloud preferences instead of System Prefs, is the back arrow showing in the menu bar? If so, click it to get back to main preference window, then quit from there.

Did that....still shows the iCloud Preferences when I open it again.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Did that....still shows the iCloud Preferences when I open it again.

Does the System Prefs icon have a notification number (red) on it? iCloud in SP wants you to complete something. It will ask you for Apple ID (or Admin .. I forget) ... enter it, then click back to main SP menu and close. You should be ok after that.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
How can I fix this?
Mine does that too. I just click the Show All button and move on.
To be pedantic, that iCloud Prefs window is part of System Preferences.

Does the System Prefs icon have a notification number (red) on it? iCloud in SP wants you to complete something. It will ask you for Apple ID (or Admin .. I forget) ... enter it, then click back to main SP menu and close. You should be ok after that.
Well, yes, mine does. Probably why the OP is seeing this come up first also.
But, it's not asking me for an ID. The alert at the top is about 2-factor Authentication. I'm not going there again, so I'll make that extra click when I need to check something in SP.

Edit: So I clicked the Continue button in the Alert, and it went away. It didn't want a password or anything else to set up 2FA. Going to Show All and closing has "fixed" the "problem". I imagine the OP can do the same.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.