System Preferences "Startup Disk" doesn't show Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by andrema2, May 25, 2008.

1. andrema2 macrumors member

Hi,

I was trying to boot into Vista using the System Preferences "Startup Disk" pane , but it doesn't show the Vista Partition. I only can see network (doesn't work) and Mac Os. If I use option key during boot it does work normally.

What's wrong ?

2. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

Do you have any type of NTFS plugin installed on the Mac side? I had the same issue which resolved itself when I disabled the Paragon NTFS plugin.

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Startup Disk can only see NTFS partitions if using Apple's own driver. If you install a third-party one (like Paragon), as Tsurisuto noted, Startup Disk will not be able to see it so you can only access it at boot by pressing Option.

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

So that's why I can see my XP disk but not my Vista disk. I installed XP using the Boot Camp Assistant but when I installed Vista I just popped the disk in and rebooted. So I guess BCA installs the Apple driver - right?
    Alan

5. Syonidism macrumors regular

how do you disable paragon??? just uninstall?? orrr??

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

This happens with Windows 7 as well. It's really not a big deal. Just restart and hold down the "option" key.

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

The lack of the Windows option in startup disk is in the NTFS for Mac Readme. You have to use the NTFS for Mac preferences settings instead - an alias on the desktop works fine for me.