System Preferences will not work with Mavericks

fancyfrancy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
I am not very good with my computer (that is why I have a MAC, because they are usually so simple) I just updated to Maverick and now system preferences won't work. Please explain in terms a "dummy" could understand. I have found other post but can't find this specific answer. Thanks in advance for your help.

fancyfrancy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Sorry I can open it but when I click on any item they won't even open, or light up, or anything.

I have restarted my computer but still won't work.

I need to change my mouse clicks but system preferences is how I use my scanner for my printer.

Last edited:

Mintzar

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
Narnia
Maybe you should try restarting it, I'm on Mavericks and it works for me.
You can also try to use the spotlight search:
If you want to tweak the screansaver, you don't HAVE to click it in the System Preferences application, you can enter "screensaver" into the spotlight search and it may come up :)

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
It might be best for you to call AppleCare if you're in the US: 800-275-2273. If in a different country, I'll find the local number for you.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I'd probably try this: https://discussions.apple.com/message/12448768#12448768

Create a new User go to System Preferences > Accounts > "+" (make it an admin acct) and test System Preferences in this new account, if they work the problem is isolated to your User and not systemwide.

If the corruption is in your account only try this...

Go delete these files
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

alibutler

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
System Preferences Missing from Dock and unable to open

Hi, have just upgraded to Maverick OS and on one of our User accounts amongst other problems the System Preferences Icon has disappeared from the dock. When I go to the Apple logo or into the Application Folder and try to open it from there nothing happens. The dock seems to move as if it is opening then nothing happens.

Having read advice above I have tried deleting the com.apple string from the Users folder but the user name folder I want is not there! Does anyone know why this is so? Also, when I look in the other user folders, there is not a library folder in any of them.

I mentioned other problems - also can't open the mail app or Word.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Maybe you should try restarting it, I'm on Mavericks and it works for me.
You can also try to use the spotlight search:
If you want to tweak the screansaver, you don't HAVE to click it in the System Preferences application, you can enter "screensaver" into the spotlight search and it may come up :)
Wait, What?

The post above yours clearly states the OP already restarted. Screansaver? Who mentioned Screansaver?

----------

I am not very good with my computer (that is why I have a MAC, because they are usually so simple) I just updated to Maverick and now system preferences won't work. Please explain in terms a "dummy" could understand. I have found other post but can't find this specific answer. Thanks in advance for your help.
You have given very little information, however, why don't you back up all you data and just reinstall. If it works, put your data back and you are good to go.

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Run these command (one line at a time) in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app:

Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSUseLeopardWindowValues YES

defaults write com.apple.Safari NSUseLeopardWindowValues NO

killall SystemUIServer
See if this helps. Just remember to click return after each command.

kittierue

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Security & Privacy preference error

I just upgraded to 10.9.4 Mavericks. I created a new user admin and the Security & Privacy pane works properly. That indicates a corruption within my original account.

So I tried this:
Go delete these files
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

So I notice that this path is not the path I have to use to get to the com.apple...plist files. I actually am going
MacIntosh/Library/Preferences/com.apple...plist

Is this the same? Because under my user there is no Library folder. In any regard, the 2 .plist files don't exist under my corrupted userid.

I have no problem deleting the corrupted user and keeping the new one. I would like to see all my files, applications, etc without going through a lot of pain. Is there an easy way to share the desktop info with the new userid?

Attachments