System Preferences window not remembering its location

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by metalray@mac.co, May 28, 2008.

1. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I am running :apple:leopard and the following bug has bothered me for a while now. I cant seam to find anyone with the same issue. Apparently the System Preferences pane wishes to open in a unpleasant location every-time I open it. You know half way off the screen!:mad: This has irritated me and I have tried everything I could think of to fix it.

Please help me; I would appreciate it.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try quitting System Preferences, trashing com.apple.systempreferences.plist in home/Library/Preferences and then opening System Preferences again.

3. metalray@mac.co thread starter macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

deleting all everything in the Caches folder in your home library then rebooting?

5. metalray@mac.co thread starter macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

would'nt that destroy some of my intentional presets?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

caches dont hold any settings the preference files do which youve already trashed.

theres a lot of stuff in the Caches folder and when i troubleshoot i just trash them all and it doesnt hurt anything.

7. Jaschr macrumors member

I'd start by narrowing it down. I'd bet it doesn't do it if you create a second account, right? Back up your (currupt) library and start tossing folders on your desktop (but don't get them mixed up with the other 200 icons on there :D) until it stops. When you find the folder, do the same with the plists. Just in case, I would do all the deleting and moving files around in a second account, just copy your library in there. It will take forever, but you should get it.

8. metalray@mac.co thread starter macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I went into the cashes directory and deleted all associating files. I also removed the preference files associated. However nothing helped. How can the system preference window even memorize a different location. It usually never does.

Thanks jaschr for you suggestion but I don't think that its worth doing all that just yet.

Its funny. I was observing the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file and it get recreated when I moved the windowed anew. As far as i know this should not happen considering that system preferences should always open centered in the first place.

9. metalray@mac.co thread starter macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

could someone please check the status of their "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" under "Main Window Frame SystemPreferencesApp 7.0"? I wonder what the values are suppose to be.

Attached Files:

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is the default value for me {{626, 478}, {668, 560}}

11. metalray@mac.co thread starter macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

It looks like the location gets updated every-time I move it. However once I close it and reopen it it is still in the same weird place without changing the location number. If I move it again it changes value accordingly. This is so frustrating.

Yes, it is a user specific issue

12. aqsalter macrumors newbie

I'm getting this issue as well

It's really annoying...

Seems to be a recent issue since I don't remember getting this before.

My com.apple.systempreferences file updates when I move the window as well, but doesn't seem to remember it when I open SystemPreferences again...

I've trashed the preferences files as well... no help...

Any new suggestions?