System prefrences close and reopen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maxout5, Jul 11, 2011.

1. maxout5 macrumors newbie

Hello so i downloaded divx 7 so i bought a serial number and then i need to go to system prefrences to like register and then it says "To use the divx prefrence pane system prefrences must quit and reopen. and whenever i press ok it closes and doesnt reopen but the thing is i have xslimemr and in other posts in other websites they said xslimmer delted the 32 bit thing so i jsut got my macbook and i didnt do any backup YET so idk what to do HELP!?:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::confused::confused::confused::confused::(:(:mad::mad::cool:

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Reinstall the OS, or use Pacifist to extract just the System Preferences app from the install package on the DVD. And next time try to think about what you are doing to your system rather than blindly following instructions.

3. simsaladimbamba

System Preferences from 10.6.8, maybe this can help.
    Next time you do something that deep to your system, make a clone of it, thus you can recover in case you are ****ed.
    Btw, to play DivX encoded videos, there is no need for the actual DivX codec, but I guess you do stuff with DivX, that requires it to be bought.

4. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant do the pacifist thing cuz im in a trip in egypt and the box is in america and im not coming back soon im coming back after a year so and ill try the system prefrences link u posted thanks

5. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

idk wut to do

Hey sim so when i downloaded it it works but will that be my default system prefrences that is in the apple menu in the top-left?? or is that just a clone and if so how can i make it my default one like for after the update?:confused:

6. simsaladimbamba

It is my System Preferences application, the actual preferences are not included, they are "hidden" in the Library folder.
    Just extract the .zip file and copy/move the System Preferences application to the Applications folder, thus overwriting the old one. It should work, but it may not, then a reinstall of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is in order, which does not delete any of your data, just restores the **** that is ****ed up.

7. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

do i need to have the disk cuz as i said i left it in america

8. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i tried what u said up dere ^^^ but it says i dont have permission..... so im ****ed up cuz idk wut to do there

9. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X - Setting Permissions

Btw, you can buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD in almost every store with Mac products. But as the RETAIL version only goes up to 10.6.4, you can't use it when your Mac came with 10.6.5 when you bought it.

10. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey so in egypt (NO MAC STORES!!) but i found out that the system prefrences in my app folder its icon is (2 papers a pencil a paint brush and a ruler) so its like a patch i think its cuz when i tried the install thing with pacifist so do i delte the weird icon and put UR system prefrences isntead?

11. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

now i did the permission thingy but now in the app folder system prefrences is damaged or incompelete???!!! wat to do?