system prefs 7.0

Discussion in 'macOS' started by delta214, Feb 25, 2017.

1. delta214 macrumors newbie

OS 10.6.8 For some unknown reason, the desktop/screensaver icon will not function. The icon is still there.
    Sometime last year the icon disappeared but my son who also has S/L emailed me the Desktop.prefPan.PrefPane as an attachment. it appeared as a common wall light s/w. When I opened it, a window appeared asking if I wanted it installed and after agreeing, it installed immediately. Problem solved. However, this time after sending me the same attachment and I clicked it, a window said it was already installed or corrupt. Since it is still there, obviously it must be corrupt. Question: does anyone know how to remove the existing icon. Then I can install the new one which is sitting on my desktop.
    delta214

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. But, in the end, it's not the "icon" that you want to fix. Rather, it's a process or an application. The icon is just the graphic interface to get you to something.

3. delta214 thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    I don't know how to fix the icon but it would eliminate the problem if someone can explain how to remove it.
    One suggestion was to click control & desktop/screensaver together and click customize under view but that doesn't work for me.
    Ideas anyone?
    delta214