System prefs. general- Reset

Discussion in 'iPad' started by martosprint, Jun 1, 2010.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

Can you explain to me what each reset buttons do?

"Reset all Settings"

"Erase all content & settings"

"Reset Network settings"

"Reset Keyboard dictionary"

"Reset home screen layout"

"Reset location warnings"

Now I think I know that the erase all content and settings erases everything in the iPad and it's self explanatory, But the rest of those resets I want to know what they actually do, and what if anything is lost after those resets. And when would those resets be necessary and for what reasons.
    Thanks for a reply

2. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

reset to default

All options except, "Erase all content & settings" just set your ipad back to default settings as if it was the first time you used it. However, your content that you synced / downloaded such as books,movies,music, apps still remain.

If you choose: "Erase all content & settings" this will take your ipad back to when you just took it out of the box and activated it in itunes.

Erase all settings - erases any settings or preferences you made to the ipad - like change your mail signature or turn off wifi or keyboard layout

Network settings - wifi networks you previously connected to and stored passwords, vpn settings

keyboard - words the dictionary has learned from your typing

location - an app asks to use your gps coodinates and if you say no, then it saves your response.

home screen - the order in which the icons are displayed by default

3. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Donlab, thanks for the reply and explanation. I appreciate it.