system Prefs. problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hornet41, Aug 14, 2009.

1. hornet41 macrumors newbie

I am running OS X 10.4.11 on a "pod" iMAC. When I open system preferences and click on network, I get a pop up window that states my network preferences have been changed by another application. When I click on the green "OK" box the pop up goes away and comes right back. This is driving me crazy because when it gets into this cycle it's almost impossible to get out of the preferences panel or even check the settings! It's like it gets into a closed loop and won't let you do anything.
    Any ideas on what I might do to stop this pop up???:confused:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Couple things you can do:
    1) As a workaround, go into your Security preferences pane, click to place a checkmark next to the "Require password to unlock each secure system preference" option.
    2) Alternative, create another network location in Network preferences after enabling the workaround, delete the one you previously had set up. If the problem is still there, navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and pull the preferences.plist file. Re-set up your network configuration, then uncheck the workaround detailed above.

If all else fails the workaround will allow you to make changes or verify the settings after clicking on the padlock and authenticating with your login password.