System Profiler Is Missing The Hardware Tab

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by signjc, Mar 6, 2011.

1. signjc macrumors newbie

When I open my system profiler I only get the Network and Software Tabs. The hardware tab is missing Also, I installed Onyx to see if I can get the information through a 3rd party program. Amazingly, the information about my Mac in Onyx was blank too.

I am running Snow Leopard on a Unibody Macbook 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo (the aluminum Macbook before they started calling it a Macbook Pro).

I can't find any references on this problem and my system is otherwise running well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

View menu in System Profiler do you have Full Profile selected?
    You could also try hitting Refresh there too.

3. signjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am looking in full view mode.

Yes, I have hit refresh.

That does not resolve the problem.

4. signjc thread starter macrumors newbie

I used Onyx to reset permissions; I did disk first aid using the OS disk; I removed the System Profiler preference, and finally I used Pacifist to extract and replace System Profiler. None of these fixes has worked.

I still can't view my hardware information - interestingly, I was able to view the hardware tab when I was using the utilities on the OS disk.

Not sure if this worth doing a complete reinstall for, but it is very irritating and I'm not sure if there are other problems that may not be readily apparent.