System Profiler - SATA Device Tree all shows my SSD as main drive??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MythicFrost, Oct 6, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Uhh hard to fit the title, but in System Profiler - Sata device tree, normally you see <hard drive name> and underneath it <partition 1 (IE Macintosh HD)>, however since installing my SSD, everything shows <SSD NAME> and then the SSD partition but also shows hard drive partitions there???

I'll post a screeny

Kind Regards

Attached Files:

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I do not see a problem with the listing you have posted. It shows that your MP1,1 or MP2,1 is using its Intel ESB2 SATA devices in AHCI mode, which is fine. You may have confused the Intel ESB2 ports with the Intel SSD. But the HDDs are shown at their ports as is the SSD. NP there mate!

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Ok, I was never sure that the MP3,1 used the same 5000 chipset with ESB2 SATA ports. This confirms a long standing question in my mind.

The MP4,1 definitely has a different 5520 chipset, but all the other MPs seem to have used the 5000.

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

What's the difference between the 5000 and the 5520 chipset?

Kind Regards

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

There are huge differences:

5520 is for dual LGA1366 sockets instead of dual LGA771 sockets to begin.

5520 has no IDE ports and boots ODD with SATA, the ODD SATA ports have separate device drivers compared to the four HDD ports

5520 has no FSB but supports the QPI used in the Xeon Nehalem 55XX and 53XX series CPU

5520 has a different PCIe bus which is less flexible and provides only one 16 lanes slot and three 4 lanes slots. Thats a real pisser IMHO.

There are other subtle differences.

The short version is you loose two ports and PCIe speed but you gain a lot of memory bandwidth. The 5520 is the only set which boots ODD from SATA.