system reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by N-Y, May 17, 2010.

1. N-Y macrumors regular

2 or 3 times now, i had a black shadow curtain come down, and then asking me to turn off my computer, i guess its a error msg, how can i fix this, avoid this, or repair this?

2. gr3chan macrumors newbie

gr3chan

That message is called a kernel panic and can be caused by a variety of issues. It's tough to say exactly what is causing it without any other information. Are there any recent updates or changes made to the system such as any new Applications or RAM upgrade? Does it happen when you are doing something in particular, or is it random? Do you have any peripherals attached to the unit? Check your console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) and see if there are clues in the logs that may point you in the right direction of the culprit.

3. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

is it anything to worry about?
    i havent had any hardware changes.

4. pdubak macrumors member

Reinstall Mac OS. Backup first then do a clean install from the disk.

If the problem then continues it's hardware, likely the memory or logicboard and sometimes even the hard drive. try running a memory test by inserting the CD that came with your computer, restart and hold the D key for diagnostics. That won't tell you much but it's something you can give to Apple if your still under warranty.

This is what your experiencing:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392