System requirements for FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thedisciple, Jan 10, 2009.

1. thedisciple macrumors newbie

I am using a standard Imac G5. I have tried running FCP on it and it is just way too laggy. Would FCE run at an acceptable speed on this computer?

2. thedisciple thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive looked at those, but Im well aware that alot of programs will run on the minimum requirements, but will it run fairly efficiently considering that FCP will not?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What kind of footage are you editing, what are the complete specs on your computer setup, and how, specifically, is FCP being "laggy"?

Lethal

4. thedisciple thread starter macrumors newbie

2 GHz core 2 duo processor
    1 gb of memory
    ATI Radeon HD2400, 128 MB

Im editing video off of a Canon GL1 (Not HD)

I understand the gig of memory is low, and the vid card is sub par, but the amount of pinwheels I get while trying to edit just makes it unbearable and pretty much impossible to edit. IMovie works ok, but the limitations of it are very frustrating. I would like to take it to the next level with reasonable performance. The frustrating part is I have a vastly superior PC sitting next to the mac, but theres such a lack of affordable/professional editing programs available for the pc.

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I'm assuming you're on an intel iMac, not a G5 iMac, but I'd say that the gig of RAM is your issue. Especially if you are running Leopard, since Leopard runs better with at least 2 gb of RAM. Upgrading it to 2 or even 4 gb (since DDR2 ram is very cheap) should make the difference.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Are you using the computers internal HDD to store your footage or are you using an external HDD? What version of FCP are you trying to use?

Lethal

7. thedisciple thread starter macrumors newbie

Im new to Macs, but Im pretty damn sure its a G5, but you do think that upgrading the ram will resolve my lag issue?

8. thedisciple thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am storing vid on an external and it is v 6.0.1

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Core 2 Duo is Intel, not G5.

Is your external drive connected via FW or USB?

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If it's a Core 2 Duo it's an Intel machine. The RAM is bare-bones, but besides that the machine should run FCP and DV material swimmingly. I have a nearly 7 year old G4 that handles FCP and DV just fine. Render times are long, of course, but I rarely get any beach balls. You FCP project might not be setup properly. Are you using the DV-NTSC Easy Setup and did capture the footage w/FCP?

Lethal

11. thedisciple thread starter macrumors newbie

12. -DH macrumors 65816

FCP require 1gb of RAM MINIMUM ... that leaves nothing for the OS, background processes or other programs that may be running. Your system should have at least 4gb of RAM for decent performance..

Also check to see how much free space you have on all drives. There should be a very minimum of 10% free space on each drive/volume ... 15 to 20% would be better.

-DH

13. thedisciple thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like I have 2 slots for ram. I guess Im going to buy 2 2gb sticks and replace my single gig stick. 4 gigs should do the trick? Thanks for the help, like I said I am pretty new to the wonderful world of Macs.