Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Mass Effect PC is coming out soon and i want to get it on my mac. while i read system requirements i noticed it only said 2.4GHz. so im wondering if my old macbook pro (2.2 ghz core 2 duo) would work for it.

also, ive never used windows on mac for games before. can anyone tell me if its good or should i just get an aspyr game instead.

thx everyone

dab3

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
The game runs extremely well on the MBP C2D 2.2GHZ in Bootcamp. Bought it on the weekend and I'm running it at 1280X800 with Ultra High Textures/Medium Particles/Dynamic Shadows On/Point texture filtering, and getting great framerates.

The visuals are spectacular, and the music and voice overs are also stellar. I strongly recommend trying this game out!

btw. the only snitch I got in framerate was when I was in full view of the large park area of the citadel, where there is quite a lot of polygonal detail going on. Other than that, everything is running smooth.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
It runs well on my 2.5GHz MBP, too, though I haven't tried the ultra high texture. However I've got 512MB of video RAM, so I probably can go for that texture level. I may back down to particle filtering because it does get sluggish in combat, and that's the wrong time for that to happen.

I agree it is a very fun and well done game. The "film filter" really makes it look like you're playing a movie.

tofmsx

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
It runs well on my 2.5GHz MBP, too, though I haven't tried the ultra high texture. However I've got 512MB of video RAM, so I probably can go for that texture level. I may back down to particle filtering because it does get sluggish in combat, and that's the wrong time for that to happen.

I agree it is a very fun and well done game. The "film filter" really makes it look like you're playing a movie.

I've tried on a MBP C2D2,2 but the configuration tool of mass effect said that the driver of my videocard is not up to date. Did you meet this problem

thanks

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I did not have this problem, but I did go to laptopvideo2go and install a newer driver for Windows there. I already had that driver before I got Mass Effect. That could be a difference.

tofmsx

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
I did not have this problem, but I did go to laptopvideo2go and install a newer driver for Windows there. I already had that driver before I got Mass Effect. That could be a difference.

thanks for your answer,

I installed a new driver from laptopvideo2go and then it works :)
yeahhhh

jeff12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
which driver did u download? i downloaded the latest one for window xp 32 bit but it still doesnt work.

video card: nvidia geforce 8600M GT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.