System restore CD question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kylera, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I recently got a 700Mhz eMac, but it came without any system restore CDs. A search on eBay shows some sellers with eMac CDs, though. They're selling both OS 9 and OS X together. Would that package work for me?

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I believe all eMacs can boot in OS 9... Any full retail copy of Mac OS 9, all the way up through 10.4 (Tiger) should work just fine for your machine (hopefully your optical drive works... otherwise you could use Target Disc Mode to install).

Leopard can run on the later gen eMacs, starting with the USB 2.0 which had an available 1GHz processor.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

And even alot of the grey restore disks will work too, but these are not "supposed" to be resold. And it seems as though ebay has been cracking down on sellers of them lately too, closing down alot of the auctions & issuing fairly stern copyright violation warnings to sellers :eek:

The emacs can run OS 9 natively as well as Tiger. Leopard will run on them, but will be DOG slow, especially on a 700mhz machine....

4. MAC MAN JW, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Not true. Only the usb 1.1 models can boot os 9 the usb 2.0 model emacs can not boot os 9 they can only use os 9 in the classic environment in OS X 10.4 and under:)

Leopard can run on all emacs with this http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26562/leopardassist you just need 512mb ram or more:)

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Right on, and I got the eMac JUST for OS 9, since I have two other machines that run OS X.

Better get that bid on before eBay brings them down. Thanks a lot!

6. 0ranges macrumors newbie

eMacs are great machines! I found one on the side of the road missing the entire back cover. 700mhz G4!! The screen was in good shape but the rest was TRASHED. I used a huge green spaghetti strainer with duct tape to cover the dangerous looking protrusion. It took a 10.4 install and was my main :apple: for a few years. Underrated computer.

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

That's great! Resourceful. Have any pics of that beast?