system restore discs won't work.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brak265, Jul 30, 2011.

1. brak265 macrumors newbie

allright, so here's the deal. i got a new imac, and decided to install windows 7 in another partition so i could play games. bad idea for me. something went wrong somewhere, and my mac osx partition ended up being corrupt or something while the newly installed windows one was fine. not sure how it happened, lol. half the time when i would pick my mac osx partition, it would work, and half the time, it wouldn't even start. eventually it irritated me so much that I backed up everything, and then i deleted the entire partition using my friends mac osx repair cd... but i wasn't able to install mac osx because the cd was the one that came with HIS mac unfortionately... lol

so, i ended up ordering a copy of my repair cds from apple (i had lost mine), and now that they are here, i tried firing them up. holding down Option brings up my Windows partition, and the repair cd, but every time I click the repair cd, it just boots into windows instead. I've tried resetting the PRAM, but not the other thing (where you unplug your mac for a bit), i think i'll try that next, although I don't think it will make a difference. was deleting/formatting my non-working macosx partition with my friends repair disc a bad idea? i hope to god that's not the reason my own repair disc won't properly boot now.... what should I do? I've also tried holding down C when I boot, which just brings me to a screen to choose an OS to start from (with of course Windows 7 being the only one).

any ideas?

2. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I think you have to delete both partitions including Windows(Bootcamp, I am guessing) and make it one partition first. Once you install the MacOS then you have to run bootcamp again and install Windows.

3. brak265 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure this will fix the problem? BTW the install osx disc says "EFI Boot" on the label when I hit option instead of "mac osx restore disc". is this because it's a replacement? i just don't want to uninstall windows too, and then have an OS-less blank system if it still doesn't work. also, how do i go about uninstalling windows 7?

4. brak265 thread starter macrumors newbie

bump. how do I uninstall windows 7 if i don't have access to the Disk Utility in Mac OSX or the Recovery Disc, since neither work.

5. brak265 thread starter macrumors newbie

bump! this seems like it should be a simple issue to resolve... anyone ..? i'd love you forever.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Which iMac do you have? What version of OS X are the install/restore discs? Are you putting the disc in the optical drive, restarting the iMac and holding down the C key the entire time it's booting (it takes a while to boot from an optical disc)?

7. brak265 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am holding down the C key the entire time and doing it all correctly, it just hangs forever. I've booted from another partition manager CD I have (not from apple) and I wiped the entire disk. So I know the drive isn't faulty, and now I have a clean hard drive. But it still won't boot my restore DVD.

And I bought my iMac in Dec 2010. The restore discs are the ones I ordered from Apple as replacements, and they don't have the version printed on them.

However, when I run verbose mode, I get this error:

[​IMG]

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3676

So does that mean the replacement disks they sent me are not the correct version of OS X? I gave them my serial number...

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Contact Apple and explain that the restore discs they sent do not work. Make sure that you are very specific in supplying the model information for your iMac otherwise they'll get you the wrong discs.

Your other option is to go plunk down $30 for a retail Snow Leopard disc.