system restore point / recommended programs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Patrick32, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Patrick32 macrumors newbie

I know people might be sick of referencing back to windows, but as Im only new to mac Its the only way I know how lol

I have MC Pro and I'd like to create a restore point, or something incase something goes wrong or anything.

Is this possible ?

Also is their any programs a lot of Mac users use for system stuff etc. I know people don't use anti viruses or malware software or cleaners but anything else, sorry for noob questions.

Once i gain the knowledge Il help out people on here who come on asking such questions.

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's own TimeMachine is a no fuss application to backup your system to an external drive.

Unlike windows, there is no restore points being created, you back up your drive and then restore the OS if an update that you applied needs to be rolled back.

Carbon Copy Cloner is another great option, its faster the TimeMachine and creates an exact image of your HD. In both cases you need an external drive however

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I much prefer SuperDuper over Time Machine. I have four SuperDuper clones of my iMac and rotate them. One sits in the basement in a fireproof box. I always clone before updating any software. To me Time Machine is overkill since I've never had a problem losing a file I needed; I've always had the copy on the clone or it wasn't worth saving anyway.

SuperDuper can get you back in order much quicker than Time Machine.

That being said, there's a lot of sense to having both.