System restore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sonna, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Sonna macrumors member

Is there a system restore option in OS X???

I recently installed the Safari beta and it gave me no end of problems so I used the uninstall programme to get rid of it.

Now back on Safari 2 and the Macbook still locks up and crashes. Downloaded Firefox and that did the same. I really don't want to resort to re-formatting (although this may have to be done)... any way to roll back like in XP?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The equivalent is probably an Archive & Install. It reinstalls the system only, and leaves your files and settings untouched. However back everything up before using it, in case something goes wrong. :)

3. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i'll take a look at that.

It's only my iTunes I currently have on the Mac anyway... I guess it won't be so much of a pain in the backside to do a complete reformat...

Out of interest, how long does a reformat take?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

An Archive and install will not reformat your hard drive. It will only install your operating system again. Expect 20-40 minutes given what you want to reinstall.

5. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

Yes.. But if I chose to reformat all-together, how long could I expect this to take?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why would you reformat to begin with? It should still take anywhere between 20-40 minutes depending on what you want to install.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So you didn't want to reformat but you did it anyway. Can we ask why? Sometimes it's better to find the cause of the problem before reformatting, to ensure it doesn't happen again.

8. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

I haven't done anything yet... not had the time.

I installed the Safari BETA and it borked everything up. Even after un-installing it I get the SBBOD all the time and am forced to shut down using the power button.

I am thinking a fresh install or an archive and install will rid me of the beta boo-boos....?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, okay, cool. Try the Archive & Install first since it should solve your issue but is far less intrusive than a full reformat.

However, it seems odd that a beta app such as Safari could do this. Maybe describe some of the other symptoms so we can be sure this is the source of your problem. There'd be nothing worse than running a reinstall only to find the problem pop right back at you. :eek:

10. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

Okay well all the apps now persistanly crash... I am unable to use the force quit because even that refuses to work. Then I'm not able to manually shut down so i'm forced to hold down the power button. I reboot and then almost straight away, Safari 2 will freeze and then the whole cycle starts again. The beach ball appears and it wont disapear. I'll wait 5-10 minutes to see what will happen but it doesn't go. Thats when I have to force the shut down of the Macbook.

This all happened since I installed the Safari 3 Beta... D'oh!!

BTW I do apreaciate the help from you guys. Thanks alot:)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well there's a couple of things to check before reinstalling.

• How much free space do you have on your boot drive?
    • If you create a new user account in System Preferences, does the bugginess happen there too?
    • What peripherals do you have plugged in?
    • Do you have third party RAM?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's pretty important to make sure this isn't a hardware issue or a software conflict before reinstalling. :)

12. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

I have 68.52gigs of free space remaining...
    I haven't yet created another user account. I'll crack on with that now.
    The only peripheral I use is my iPod and that has been connected only a couple of times but now the Macbook doesn't pick it up...
    And I'm using the stock 1gig of RAM provided.

I performed the hardware test and it passed... If that helps at all. I'll try creating the 2nd user account now and see how I get on!

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, excellent. I doubt it'll be any better bin the new account, but at least it'll help rule out some possible causes. Just keep in mind that even though everything passed the Apple Hardware Test, that doesn't necessarily mean it's all fine and dandy (unfortunately). :eek:

14. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

So ultimately, what do you recommend? I'm posting whilst in the new account now... Seems alright for the time being (thats tempting fate!!!), but it would mean I have to migrate everything (iTunes and docs) over from the other account...

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, you might not have to migrate everything... Are you running any apps or hacks in the old account that aren't in the new one? :)

16. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

I've just had to force a shutdown again:mad:
    Only some hack that allows me to use a httpmail account in Mail.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, verify your hard drive (not the permissions, verify the drive) in Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. It'll probably come back fine at which point I'd back everything up and perform that Archive & Install. The backup's not essential but highly recommended all the same. :)

18. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

I've just performed the verification. It passed fine. I'll procede with the Archive & Install later on (got to go to work in a bit).

Thankyou very much for your help and your time. I'll let you know how I get on:D

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. I'm not all that confident that the Archive & Install will necessarily help though because it kinda sounds like you might have a hardware issue. Nevertheless, give it a go (with your files backed up) and at worst, you'll have to take it back to Apple. Let's hope my hunch is wrong though. :)

20. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Is it possible that Safari 3 beta could cause a hardware issue?

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not really, although I guess it could have put a little extra strain on the system that would have brought forward an impending failure. I guess. :eek:

22. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

Hi.

Well I went for the erase & install in the end. It was effortless... and caused no headaches.

But my problem still persists. So it would seem that the Safari Beta is not to blame.

I am still unable to force quit any applications... so I'm forced to power off by holding the power button... again!!!!

I took a look in the Console... Not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest.
    One thing I did notice was this...

Jun 20 10:40:30 sonna-lawrences-computer kernel[0]: en1: 802.11d country code set to 'NL'.

Could this be causing a problem? Probably not... but surely my country code should be 'UK'?.

I can post the entire system.log if anyone is willing to take a look at it and see what the possible problem could be?

I'm still not resigned to the fact that it could be a hardware fault...:confused:

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but the fact a complete reformat and reinstall didn't help means your problem is hardware based. The AirPort channels being configured for the Netherlands instead of the UK doesn't matter in terms of your problems. It'll just affect the available transmission channels.

Take the machine back to Apple. :)

24. one1 macrumors 65816

25. Sonna thread starter macrumors member

Boo-urns!!!

Well again, thankyou for your help and advice. I will have to get in contact with Apple on Monday as I'm away for the weekend.

In the mean time, I've just updates to 10.4.10. Is it worth downloading and running OnyX? Or would it just be a lost cause...