System Restoring iMac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shadowspirit6, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

I was wondering how would I do a system restore on my Leopard upgraded (from a Tiger OS) iMac? I have done several google searches and i keep getting various answers (which there are different ways but I just want to restore my iMac to factory setting)

Would I use my leopard or tiger disk, and how would I go about doing a system restore?

What I wanted to do was do a system restore on my mac and upgrade to Snow Leopard. There are alot of scattered unimportant photos, movies, and games on my mac and it feels like a system restore would save me alot of time.

2. mrbash macrumors 6502

You can do a system restore by using the restore discs that came with your Mac originally. Simply boot from the disc and follow the prompts to perform a restore.

If on the other hand you just want to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, simply use the Snow Leopard disc to start an install, along the way, you could format your hard drive.

What I typically do when migrating to an OS, is install the OS on an external drive and test it out on that first. If everything is good, I migrate my existing user settings to the external drive, and finally clone the external drive to the internal drive.