System serial not showing up in About This Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jordanh91, Jul 3, 2009.

1. jordanh91 macrumors member

Kay, this has ben bugging me since forever, I believe.

When I go to About this mac and click to Serial number, all it says is "Serial Number System Serial#". I wanna fix this :(

I'm on a Unibody "Collector's Edition" MacBook, btw. :D

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Does it show up in System Profiler? (Click on "More Info" in the About my Mac window)

Has the computer ever been in for repair?

3. jordanh91 thread starter macrumors member

Nope, it hasn't been in for repair. And no, it doesn't show up in system profiler. :confused:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of sucks that you need to actually look at the bar code for your serial number.

Since most of us never bother looking at the one entered in the system, and if the computer is broken would likely find it useless when it doesn't boot ... have to depend on the box, receipt, and/or the bar code on the machine.

If the thong you are wearing is really bothering you, they can stick in the serial entry DVD and enter it into the machine at the Apple store -- though it'll likely cost you a couple few hours of your life.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've never heard of a Unibody 'Collector's Edition' MacBook, it probably doesn't have a serial number because it was never an official Apple computer.

You may want to take to laptop to a Genius Bar and see if they have the software to put the serial number on the computer. Or see what they say about it.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Hi-larious.... :p

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I try my best :D

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

9. Pedro80 macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have the same problem with my 15'' MacBook Pro. I brought it in to get the nVidia card changed (under warranty), then brought it to an aftermarket shop to get the hard drive and ram upgraded. Not sure which one of these changes would have caused it, but apple care dude said there isnt anything they can do... Gotta pull the battery to get my serial number now. I guess you can write it down on a stickynote in the dashboard so its more easily accessible.