Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeJM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I have IPhone 5s, with iOS 8.3. It seems Iphone is going to waste some amount of your cellular data no matter what you do, unless you completely turn off Cellular data. I don't use iCloud, I turn off Automatic downloads, Cellular Data and Suggested apps in Itunes and App Store, Location services. Cellular data is turned off individually for all apps except WhasApp but still I can see that System services constantly eats up my data. What's more strange is if I just open apps likes Safari, Itunes U and close, I can see that some kilobytes are gone in System services. Can you believe it? Safari starts in blank page, so it doesn't send any request at startup. The main things that consume data are Push notifications, Networking, Software updates, Itunes Accounts, Messaging Services and Time and Location. Have you guys also noticed this? Do you have any solution for that?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All those system services need to use some data to function. Don't think there's a way to disable all of them. Is it a lot of data that gets used?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'm wondering if it would help to turn on Airplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi. My cellular data plan is 2GB/month and I've not seen my 3 iPhones and 2 iPads altogether using anywhere near 1GB of data in any given month.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm wondering if it would help to turn on Airplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi. My cellular data plan is 2GB/month and I've not seen my 3 iPhones and 2 iPads altogether using anywhere near 1GB of data in any given month.

Unless you have wifi calling airplane mode will disable calling. Why not turn off cellular data? I do it when I get home to save battery life.

MikeJM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
I know it's not much. 20-30 MBs a month. But I don't think the amount is important. If turning off cellular data for certain applications should do what it says, then even a byte shouldn't be used out of control. If `system services need to use some data to function` then how do they function when I turn cellular data off with no wifi around? I mean it's really ridiculous that iOS needs some data just to open an app.
"I'm wondering if it would help to turn on Airplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi." My only concern is cellular data, I don't care about wifi data usage.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I know it's not much. 20-30 MBs a month. But I don't think the amount is important. If turning off cellular data for certain applications should do what it says, then even a byte shouldn't be used out of control. If `system services need to use some data to function` then how do they function when I turn cellular data off with no wifi around? I mean it's really ridiculous that iOS needs some data just to open an app.
"I'm wondering if it would help to turn on Airplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi." My only concern is cellular data, I don't care about wifi data usage.
Is it possible when the phone sleeps wifi goes to sleep and the software then uses the cellular data connection to do certain things? You can't turn off system services.

MikeJM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Is it possible when the phone sleeps wifi goes to sleep and the software then uses the cellular data connection to do certain things? You can't turn off system services.
That's possible, but as I said earlier, System Services use some kilobytes even when I open and close an app like Safari, ITunes U.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
That's possible, but as I said earlier, System Services use some kilobytes even when I open and close an app like Safari, ITunes U.
Well, Safari bookmarks and Reading list are sync'd across your iCloud account so Safari may be using some data to update those items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.