System Storage Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jalquist26, Nov 6, 2018.

1. jalquist26 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone!

I'm very new to Mac's and I purchased my Mac Book Pro back in February but I just looked at my system storage for the first time and it's sitting at 143 Gigabytes! That doesn't seem normal to me. What do I need to do in order to fix this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That storage graphic gets data from the Spotlight index, and sometimes if the index is corrupt it will show a bad reading. Try running the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and see if that helps. Give it 30 minutes or so to complete.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

3. jalquist26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried it out. It only removed three Gigs. I check out the Time Machine thing as well and I don't even have that set up yet but I tried that code as well and go figure nothing happened. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

5. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

As you are new....I will add that Disk Sweeper simply shows you everything, sorted by size. Including system, user, and invisible data. Much easier than trying to parse this out with the Finder.

When you have your Disk Sweeper report, yell with questions.