System Storage Question/OS File Size

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appurushido, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Appurushido macrumors regular

So I went to look at my HDD space and I noticed the system is using/taking up 151GBs of space. Does that include installed software? Apps, photos, and my iPhone backup are shown in a different bar.

Does anyone know the approximate file size for macOS Sierra? Thanks in advance!

2. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

The system alone shouldn't take up much more than 8 GB. The rest is probably cache files - you could download the free version of Daisy Disk, which shows you exactly where your storage is used.

3. jerryk macrumors 68040

I just had an issue where a lot files showed in the System bar. The issue is I have Time Machine enabled and had not connected to my NAS for a while. The NAS is where my Time Machine backup resides. So until I connected, the updated files were getting held in some System area. As soon as I ran Time Machine, 100 GB more free space showed up.

4. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502a

Not sure if it helps, but I noticed my System files was taking up 100GB of space as well. I used DaisyDisk to take a closer look and about 75GB of System files were actually games installed by my Steam app. They all got shoved into the Library and it looks like they were inadvertently being labeled as system files.

Hope this solves a few mysteries for those wondering about system files taking up HUGE amounts of space.

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Are you using a Beta version of Sierra? I've seen this problem before on iOS/MacOS whereby it keeps duplicating instal/updates till it fills the internal storage. If you are using Beta then stop, it's a Beta and not for people who rely on the software.

6. Appurushido thread starter macrumors regular

Unless new MB Pros ship with betas, I would say, no. Mine was a new 2017 13" MB Pro w/ TB when purchased. As Lincoln stated, it's probable some other software that I don't know that's lumped into the system file under HDD space.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have Time Machine turned on? Time Machine's local snapshots will show up in that section.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

8. Appurushido thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so. I'll have to check. Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.