Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quasar720

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Berkley, MI
This is a weird problem that I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing. The system time on my Mac Pro seems to be getting "stuck." I think this is a new occurrence since the install and use of Boot Camp. I will use XP for a while and then when I come back to OS X the time in the upper right corner will be incorrect. It has been slow by about 4 hours each time. If I open Date & Time it instantly updates to the correct time. So it's like it is getting stuck and not updating with Apple's time servers until I open the application. Anyone else experiencing this weirdness? I tried a search here and over at the Apple Support site but couldn't find anything similar. I haven't installed any new software other than Boot Camp and don't have any programs that have to do with customizing the time display or anything.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I'll second this, I'm also experiencing this problem. At the moment its alright, I hadn't actually connected using bootcamp with it, but now you bring it up, i haven't used bootcamp in 2 days and the time has been fine. strange:confused:

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i had that problem when i had vista... altho i think it might be a coincident with vista

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Osarkon said:
I'll second this, I'm also experiencing this problem. At the moment its alright, I hadn't actually connected using bootcamp with it, but now you bring it up, i haven't used bootcamp in 2 days and the time has been fine. strange:confused:

Ditto, I'd seen this but hadn't made any connection with Boot Camp. I haven't seen this in a while, but then I haven't booted into XP in a while either.

But open up Date & Time and (boom!) it's ok again.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
I get this too, and I suspect it's definitely a byproduct of switching to Windows and back to OS X. It bugs the heck outta me, because I would hope that my System Preferences would cause the machine to check the time every time I restart. But apparently not.

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
I posted this in the MB/MBP forums, but here it is again.

#1 - Boot into windows, disable windows from setting the time/date/internet time synching.

#2 - Boot to OSX, set the mac to synch automatically via the net, and synch it. It should now have the correct time.

#3 - Boot back into windows, and adjust the timezone so that the time is now correct in windows. You are NOT setting it to the correct timezone. You're setting it to whatever timezone makes your time/date correct in windows.

Worked well enough. Problem is, windows is going to keep setting time when you boot into it if you don't do this, and windows stores date/time in firmware/bios/EFI/whatever in non-GMT. I believe OSX stores in GMT.

TMF

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2005
Grenoble, France
Hardware clock

IIRC, When using the time sync feature in windows, the OS sets the hardware clock to the selected time zone but Tiger does this differently: the hardware clock is set to UTC time and the OS merely adjusts the displayed time according to the settings.

I am using Vista (build 5744) and since the daemon installed by the boot camp drivers does not work, this is driving me nuts.

fmiddel

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
I have the same problem and I am not using Boot Camp at all. It's a late 2008 MBP and I have it set to hibernate instead of sleep, but whenever it wakes back up (for the past month or so), the time is set to whenever it hibernated.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Used to get this a hell of a lot in the early days of bootcamp, used to be one hours difference as we're in the UK. If I remember right its down the the different ways OSX and Windows do time, OSX does GMT and Windows UTC. Have to disable NTP in Windows I think early days but the later bootcamp drivers fixed it.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Used to get this a hell of a lot in the early days of bootcamp, used to be one hours difference as we're in the UK. If I remember right its down the the different ways OSX and Windows do time, OSX does GMT and Windows UTC. Have to disable NTP in Windows I think early days but the later bootcamp drivers fixed it.

Eight year old necro thread oh well. You can do the real time is universal registry entry to get windows doing utc time if it still happens, windows does local time not utc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.