System Transfer, Hard Drive Options

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Twinsbb17, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Twinsbb17 macrumors member

I'm replacing my White Core Duo Macbook (2006) with the new iMac 3.6ghz i5 in the coming days. I'm pretty pumped for it to come! But now I'm debating on which way to transfer my system from my old box to the new beast.

I have a 1TB External Hard drive with a 200GB partition with my Time Machine backups. The other partition has my iTunes media, TV shows etc. I want to store my iTunes media on the iMac and have time machine backup my entire system including iTunes.

First, what's the best way to transfer my iTunes media from the External HD to my iMac?
    Second, should I do mess with Migration Assistant and have it handle my restore from the Time Machine backups?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you want everything to be the same, then use Migration Assistant but if you want to start from scratch and configure all settings etc, then don't use it. Just import the iTunes files from the external to iTunes as iTunes has coping enabled by default (check it though) so all files will be added to /User/Music/iTunes folder.