Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Hello,

I have a late 09 21" IMac and have a few problems....

1. I do occasional maintenance with onyx and have been getting a few startup disk errors in recent months. These seem to get repaired and the computer still functions as normal.

I have never had these before in 8 years of using osx so they do worry me. Is the osx boot drive just a bit corrupted? Would a simple reinstall help or is the hd showing signs of failure?

2. The trash simply refuses to empty.

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.

I've tried to bring the items back to the desktop and the folder they came from but they simply make a copy of them. I've tried the option key method and sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash + sudo rm -rf /Users/user_name/.Trash in the terminal but get no change

Thanks for your time.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
For the trash issue, try repairing permissions in disk utility. As far as the other issue goes, if it's fixed easily, I wouldn't worry too much, although a reinstall of the OS probably wouldn't hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.