System wide change for folder icons?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by puelocesar, Sep 1, 2014.

1. puelocesar macrumors member

Is it possible to change all folder icons in OSX? This new folder icon in Yosemite looks like old KDE4 icons, and I can't get very comfortable with it's bright color.

2. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Sure. The folder .icns files are located in:

Macintosh HD ▸ System ▸ Library ▸ CoreServices ▸ CoreTypes.bundle ▸ Contents

3. Mr Todhunter macrumors member

Mr Todhunter

As n-evo points out you can find the system icons and change them the hard way (copy- paste at the info window, one by one) as the great liteicon app has not been updated for Yosemite yet. Unfortunately I was unable to change the standard default folder and the trashcan, but all other icons can be changed.

4. n-evo, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

That's not what I said and meant at all. By replacing the source (.icns) files by different ones you'll change all folder icons system-wide in one go. They're located at the path I posted above. That's simply what customization utilities like CandyBar and LiteIcon do in a more user friendly way. It has nothing to do with the info window method which only takes care of one folder, file or volume at a time.

5. Mr Todhunter macrumors member

Mr Todhunter

My bad. I wanted to point out it could be done the old way. What I did was change the .icsn resourcesin System / Library /CoreServices/ CoreTypes.bundle/ Contents/Resources. Unfortunately it did not work for the trashcan and default folder. Try it and see. I have no idea why.

6. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Try clearing the icon cache for the default folder. The trash icons are also located in Finder.app and/or Dock.app.

7. puelocesar thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what i needed, thank you!